SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
metromom_gw

Need help...I have painted my kitchen 4 times and still not happy

metromom
14 years ago

It is not at all clear here whether I need paint-color help or psychiatric help :)

I am normally pretty good at choosing colors but this kitchen has me completely confounded!! For the first paint job, I had to make a very quick decision and I grabbed BM Smoky Taupe, thinking it would be a safe choice I could live with while I worked on other priorities...but it was so blah it was driving me crazy (to be fair, I had not finished accessorizing at this point so maybe that was part of the underlying problem). Anyway here's what the smoky taupe looked like:

I knew I wanted a color with more presence and after tons of splotching, I came up with BM Raintree Green:

I loved it at first, but after a year or so I started feeling like it was too dark, too olivey, too drab -- in these pics, it looks softer and grayer than it looked at many times of day. It was driving me crazy.

Many more splotches later, I decided to go with a much lighter gray-green. I got one complete coat on and realized it was too dull, so for the second coat I moved over one strip toward the blues, which gave me Behr Limelight. The card looked very pretty but on my walls, it is baby blue!

It's way too pastel-y for me, but I do like the fact that it's a lot lighter than the Raintree Green. However, I have absolutely no clue where to go next. PLEASE HELP!!!

Some random thoughts:

1. I am happy with my accessories which are bright pink/orange/maroon - so I need something that can work with those.

2. Is the problem with the kichen itself? Many of the kitchens that catch my eyes in magazines have very light colors, but the kitchens themselves have much more architectural interest (crown molding, more detailed cabinetry, glass cabinets etc). I can't replace my cabinets or counters but if they are what's keeping this from coming together, I'm open to at least hearing and acknowledging that.

3. Is the problem in my head? Should a reasonable person be happy with any of the colors I showed above?

4. Part of what's giving me so much trouble is that the lighting changes so much throughout the day. Also, I am in the kitchen all day, so I can't just choose the color that looks best at the time of day I'm in there most. But would better lighting or different light bulbs help? If so, what should I look for?

5. Next time I have to get this right. DH is going to KILL me!

So...please put me out of my misery. Does anyone have any suggestions? At this point I am open to pretty much anything!!!

Comments (64)