SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annkh_nd

Waiting, waiting, waiting...

annkh_nd
10 years ago

I'm not complaining or whining (I hope), but I know you all will sympathize.

A few months ago I asked for opinions about how much time I should allow for cabinet removal (DIY), electrical work, drywall repair, and painting (DIY). I got lots of good feedback, and allowed just over 3 weeks to get the above completed, with some cushion in case of problems.

All went smoothly - a couple of minor bumps, but no big surprises, and plenty of time to spare. Hooray! Everything is ready for new cabinets! I'm doing flooring after the cabinets (installer will compensate for height, so DW fits). Flooring installation was scheduled for 2 weeks after the cabinets.

Now the holdups - first, the cabinetmaker was a bit behind, because there were unexpected difficulties with the project ahead of mine, and he likes to finish one before starting the next. That's OK - it gives me confidence that my project will also be his first priority, once it starts. It was going to set us back a week or so.

But then they had an equipment disaster of some kind at the shop, which brought everything to a screeching halt for over a week. I had to move the floor install back 2 weeks. I don't want to be a pest, so I'm not calling the cabinet guy too often. I'm hoping he'll be able to start install next week, but it may be as late as Aug 5. He assures me that he'll be done with installation in time for my flooring install, Aug 12.

It's only 3 weeks behind schedule, and I signed the contract in February, so it's not a horrible delay. We were on vacation for a week and a half after I finished painting, so he haven't even gone all that long without a kitchen. I've waited for this for 15 years; a few more weeks is no big deal.

But I am SO anxious to see my new kitchen! I'll still have a wait a few more weeks before my Cambria countertop is installed (and the sink hooked up), but at least by Aug 15 I'll be able to use the range and dishwasher.

At what point can I start putting things away? I don't want to fill up all the drawers if I just have to take them out (and wrap the glides) prior to installing counters, but are the upper cabinets fair game?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!