SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Le Vesuve roots itself!

12 years ago

Over the years I have rooted my very old Le Vesuve, but have had luck only really with the "dig a depression in the dirt, bend down a long cane, put part of it in the depression (leaving it attached to the plant), and then cover it with a little dirt and put a brick on it. Wait. Wait. Wait - years. Wait some more, until you have forgotten that you did that, and can't figure out why there is this new growth coming up from the dirt...

This rose tends to build up live canes & dead canes at the bottom of it. It uses them to rest on - that is how this huge bush can be self supporting. So, I usually leave the large canes at the bottom that are resting on the ground, whether they are dead or not. The other day I was lifting some of them up to put mulch underneath, and one of them refused to move at all. Luckily, before I had ripped it up, it occurred to me that maybe it had rooted itself, so I cut it off and dug it up and voila! An already rooted bush with 2 canes. It is now a month later, and it is in a large pot. It has sprouted all over, and is growing madly.

Just wanted to mention this, for those of you who have Le Vesuve bushes. If you are not too fanatic about pruning/grooming them, you might find rooted canes underneath them - the easiest way I have ever gotten a rooted cutting!

Jackie

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH