SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Le Vesuve aka 'Grand Ave. Giant'

13 years ago

They say that roses "can live to 90 or 100 years on their own roots". Well, I think my giant old Le Vesuve tea/china rose (if you want to see pictures of it in its glory, go to Cass Bernstein's web site at "www.rosefog.us" and click on "Grand Ave. Giant") may be coming to the end of its natural life. We think it was planted sometime between 1905 and 1920, so I can't really complain.

It has been declining and dying back a lot since last Spring. My DH and I spent 2 days earlier this week weeding out the ivy & tree seedlings that were growing underneath it (no normal weeds could survive there), and cutting out dead wood. Unfortunately, over 50% of the wood was dead, and it has been dying from the base up, which is obviously not good. The canes of this old tea rose are long and very flexible, and grow around in circles and intertwine with each other. Of course, when they are DEAD they are no longer flexible at all! We had to cut them out in increments of about 10", so as to not damage the live wood canes that were also going around in long circles. Not fun!

When we were all finished something amazing had come to light - it was not one bush, but two! This explains the mystery of why it was so big (8 feet high by about 7 feet deep by 18 feet wide)! We had never noticed, because it was so dense, and all I had ever done to it in the way of pruning was to shape it around the perimeter. It had tip rooted in the past and formed an entirely new bush next to the old one. As a matter of fact, the 2 inch in diameter old cane that disappeared under the dirt about 4 inches from the "newer" 8 inch in diameter trunk was still attached! The newer trunk was at least 6 feet away from the old old original one. The original one was in the worst shape, although both bushes were an unhealthy color. So, I cut the old linking cane. The newer bush obviously had roots under its trunk, and I thought it might stand a better chance to survive cut off from the 90-100 year old one which may be dying of old age. I think the newer one rooted at least 40 years ago - it was right next to the ground level stump of an olive tree that we know was cut down in 1970 (having the house in the same family for 105 years gets you lots of data about the garden!).

Anyway, we fed both of the bushes, and now will just wait to see what happens over the Winter. I really hope at least the younger one survives. All is not lost, however, as there is a "baby" of it that I rooted about 10 years ago growing about 10 feet away. It is 8 feet tall by 7 feet wide, is a very healthy green, and is covered with bloom as we speak. If one or two of the old ones die I will root cuttings from the baby and re-plant them.

Just wanted to share this story - does anyone else have any experience with really old tea roses? I will post an update next Spring when we find out what happens.

Jackie

Comments (11)