SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
repaintingagain_gw

Still confused - 'patina' on soapstone?? please help explain

repaintingagain
14 years ago

Okay -

So I'm still confused about soapstone and patina. I've done a bunch of searches on GW and maybe I'm just missing the thread that will really help me to understand.

Here is my current understanding:

Soapstone will not stain or etch. You can leave anything on it and it will look the same after washing with soap and water just like you would on any other counter.

The strange water marks that have shown up on some people's counters are because maybe they weren't really sold soapstone?? (this is where things get fuzzy for me)

The biggest issue with soapstone has to do with "hardness". You can more easily ding, or scratch soapstone depending on how hard that particular stone is - but you can also sand out your dings and scratches and with a new coat of mineral oil - it will be back to original look.

The patina of soapstone mostly refers to how long you choose to go in between coats of mineral oil? yes?? no??

Patina with soapstone does not refer to staining, etching or spots that you see on the counter like marble?? does it??

There is where I want to make sure I understand what patina and soapstone mean.

Thank you for any help, thoughts, pictures. I have a new love affair with the look of soapstone. Just need to make sure I understand it and also need to convince the DH.

Comments (25)