SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msl511

Help with odd soapstone problem, please

msl511
10 years ago

Teixeira installed my soapstone counters a couple of months or so ago and oiled them before they left. Gorgeous!

Not long after that, the electricians put 2 strips of blue painter's tape down on the island and then, without my realizing the tape was still there, a big piece of cardboard got put down on the island, over the tape to protect the island while more work went on. The tape, covered by the cardboard, sometimes with heavy-ish things, sat on the island counter for weeks. When I took off the cardboard and the tape, the tape had left dark marks on the stone.

I can't feel it, so it doesn't seem like a job for Goo Be Gone. It's painter's tape, which I thought wasn't supposed to leave anything behind. Having consulted with the internet and Teixeira, I have tried (1) rubbing alcohol (2) pure acetone (3) Magic Eraser and (4) dishsoap with a scrubby. None of it is really helping. I'd like to wax the counters, but don't want to wax over whatever this is, if that's a mistake. Teixeira says I can always sand it, but that scares me.

Any thoughts about what it might be and what I should do about it?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting