SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcclerk_gw

Soapstone problems... I think. Can you help?

dcclerk
14 years ago

I am pretty crushed. I am one of those people that knew right away that soapstone was for me. I haven't waivered in the 2+ years that it took us to do the plan, and now we have finally installed the stone, and I don't think it is right. Can you please help talk me off of a cliff...

I checked out all of M. Texiera's samples and found that I loved the quietness of the Indian ones the most. So, when M. Texiera's So-Cal affiliate couldn't get any of the Indian ones (Cobra & Mumbai Gray), I found someone who could (and in fact, it was cheaper!-- score, right?) I had planned on using a local guy who only installs soapstone, but my GC much preferred that we use one of the guys that he usually uses. I even talked to the guy myself and directly asked him about his experience with soapstone-- he assured me he had a ton.

Fast forward to now, and the soapstone is in. I can't really explain it, but it doesn't look right. It seems too polished. It isn't really shiny, but it feels so smooth, that it is more like granite, rather than soapstone. It doesn't feel chalky. It reminds me much more of my old honed black absolute granite, than it does the matte, friendly texture of soapstone. There is no desire to touch it. No little ripples or undulations in the stone that feel really organic. Does that make sense? (As I say it, I realize I sound like a freak.)

And, I know it isn't that I just had hyped up soapstone in my mind, because I ADORE my friend's soapstone. Mine is different. And, I'm paranoid that my fabricator did something really wrong since he has told me in the last two weeks that (1) he would need to put an enhancer on one slab because it seemed lighter than the others, and that (2) I had to have my soapstone sealed. It honestly freaked me out. If ***I*** know that would be ineffective, he should DEFINITELY know this.

My primary worry, besides the lack of love for it, is that I am worried that with such high polishing, I'm going to end up having problems with rings and what not, more than the average soapstone. Isn't that what Bay Area Francey determined?

Can you put my concerns to rest? Is there something that I should tell the fabricator to do? Any authority that I can quote other than my internet friends? (I suspect that I would sound like a crazy lady for sure at that point.)

TIA!

It doesn't look right because it is so smooth.

Comments (26)