SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kharamarie_gw

Soapstone owners - Please help a lost, weary soul!!!

kharamarie
13 years ago

My endless countertop decision saga continues, and my head is spinning out of control! From the get go, I've been in love with soapstone and honed marble. It's one or the other for me - no room for an island. Due to "maintenance issues" with both, I've tried with all my heart to talk myself out of them and into something else. I just don't want to feel afraid to use my kitchen and like I have to baby my countertops!!! However, I've had numerous "alternative" slabs put on hold, but when I get home, I just know in my heart I won't be happy with them.

I think I've received enough information about marble to know what I'm asking for and to make an informed decision about it (but of course, I'm always open to more!). However, not so with soapstone. I am clear that it is a soft stone that can scratch and chip, but how easily??? I would love to hear firsthand from any and all of you soapstone owners out there regarding the care, maintenance, etc. When I hear "patina", what does this really mean? How careful must you be? How do you clean your countertops? Is it true that you can't just use good ol' soap and water? How often do you apply mineral oil? I would LOVE to see pics of your USED and seasoned countertops up close and personal. Please help!!!

Comments (23)