SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
friedajune

Annoying How My GW Fonts Keep Changing

friedajune
14 years ago

When I click on a thread, or click back to a GW Forum page, the font on my screen changes, both style and size. I don't think it's my computer, since this is not happening on any other websites I am visiting. The most annoying is the teeny tiny font that appears. Is this font-change thing happening to everyone? (I am on Firefox browser) Do you think the PTB are aware of it? I.e. are they doing a new font/style design for the GW?

Comments (33)

• llaatt22
    14 years ago

First noticed it yesterday. Very annoying.

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

It's happening to me, too! It's incredibly annoying! And font size isn't consistent as I move from page to page. Sometimes the font is teeny, other times it's the old size - there's no rhyme or reason as far as I can tell.

I'm on Firefox, too. They installed an update yesterday (or was it the day before) and the problems started soon after but I don't know if that's a coincidence or if there's a connection. I'd think if there was a connection, other sites I visit would also be affected and they're not.

I'm getting really tired of hitting "ctrl +" so that I can read the threads.

I also have to log in each time I come into GW - that's been going on a few days longer than this issue. Forgot to have hubby check for cookies so I don't know if this is related or not.

• Related Discussions

Is it my computer, or did GardenWeb's font size change?

Q

Comments (8)
    Yeah, just when Dear Daughter was old enough to stop doing really weird things to our computer monitors, a couple of cats came to live with us. I don't know how they do the things they do, but it's really annoying to get my windows perfectly arranged on the screen to monitor various job streams to have the cat go bug hunting and log me out of my sessions. Figuring out how to change the font is just a matter of wandering the menu bar, and looking for options that look useful.
    ...See More

Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens! [Help keep on Page 1]

Q

Comments (150)
    Can't wait to start designing and learning from those who have so much expertise and kitchen wisdom. BUMP
    ...See More

Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens! [Help keep on Page 1]

Q

Comments (4)
    Buehl, please do! I was just trying to save something of use. I'd been checking the GW all night, turned my back for 15 minutes to watch the Health Care vote, and whammo! all the posts were gone. I kept refreshing, thinking, "This can't be!"
    ...See More

font size changing each page

Q

Comments (9)
    I'm having the back/double click problem. Very annoying. Don't have the text size problem though. I use Firefox with the Zoom Text Toolbar add on. With that you can change the text and it will stay that size. When you come to a site that has too small, or too large text size you just click the Icon on that Tool bar and it changes for that page. It is a great help with my vision problems. Check it out. Sue Here is a link that might be useful: Zoom
    ...See More
  • toomuchstuph
    14 years ago

Whew - thank you. I do wonder if it's Firefox as well. I just installed the update yesterday (or so).

Really sounds like this is a firefox/GW thing. And yes, verry annoying!

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

Is anyone else having this problem? I thought whatever was causing it had gone away but I was wrong. Font size is not consistently small or consistently normal. Even the home page's font size will change from small to normal when I flip in and out of threads. Nothing else has been affected, including other websites I visit. Only GW. If there's a rhyme or reason for this, it escapes me.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I haven't noticed any font problems.... I also use Firefox, version 3.0.12

• friedajune
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The people on the Cooking Forum are having the same issue.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooking Forum Thread about Font Changing

• rnest44
    14 years ago

No font isssues...yet, but I'm having the double click on the back arrow issue as discussed on the Cooking Forum. I use the Firefox browser so I can be ad free since my laptop is too old to run sarfari ad free.

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

I just posted on the Cooking Forum thread. And then I had to log back in!!!! I hadn't logged out, hadn't even left GW but it acted as if I had. I click the remember me button each time. Makes not a lick of difference!

I checked cookies. It's not that. This has stumped computer whiz hubby (he's a software engineer). And it's really ticking me off to the point that I don't want to hang around or read threads like usual. Someone theorized it might be an ad doing this. If so and this is the outcome, it's not very smart of them.

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

I am not having the font issue, but am having the back-button clicking thing. I had it with 3.0 ish Firefox and just now went to 3.5 ish Firefox and the problem continues.

The only new "feature" I'm seeing in the page source is some dohicky called cleanprint. It supposedly "places" advertisements when you ask to print a page that are different from the ones placed on the visual page. It's possible its interfering with the back button somehow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clean Print maker

• cotehele
    14 years ago

Oh, I am glad see it may be Firefox causing the back-button sluggishness.

• kpaquette
    14 years ago

I don't have the font issue but I'm definitely having the back button issue (didn't think it was an issue, thought it was user error LOL.) I'm using firefox too.

• sevenecho
    14 years ago

I tried it in IE and it seems to be working fine. Must be a Firefox thing. I will be glad when it is corrected because I prefer not to use IE. I will try anvil and chrome and see whats up there.

• rnest44
    14 years ago

Sarfari seems to be running fine. I don't have to double click the back arrow. So I choose between double clicking or ads!

• Jodi_SoCal
    14 years ago

I had the text resizing problem earlier last week. Very, very annoying! I upgraded my browser (Firefox) to the most current version (3.5.1) and the font problem went away. The two clicks to go back however is still happening.

Jodi-

• mamalynn
    14 years ago

I'm having the sluggish back button issue and I use SeaMonkey (in the Mozilla/Firefox family). Very annoying! I haven't upgraded or changed anything, so don't know what the issue is. I refuse to use IE. If a site won't work with one of the Mozilla products, I'm outta there. Another thing I'm seeing the last few days is that the GW pages never seem to finish loading - the little hourglass icon is running, my little Sky Pilot icon at the top of the browser is "flying" indicating that data is coming in, but no data is coming in.

I'm wondering if GW changed something. My son who does programming says that you have to work a little harder on your programming to make your site "work" for all browsers, not just IE, and some programmers don't take the time to do that.

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

mamalynn, I think your son got it. It's a GW programming problem that makes it not work right with Firefox.

I think it's getting better. I'm viewing the correct font size more often but the incredible shrinking font thing still pops up now and then.

I thought my log in issues were solved but I was wrong. I didn't have to log in to post on the Cooking Forum - it remembered me from yesterday! - but I just had to log back in to post here. Am I the only one having this problem?

• plllog
    14 years ago

I've been having the back arrow problem and haven't upgraded the Firefox.

The interesting thing is that Firefox is the most compliant to the standards. Screwing it up in Firefox means that someone is purposefully violating the standards, or else just goofing.

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago

I ran the firefox update and I think it's better.

• mamalynn
    14 years ago

Are the powers that be reading these problem posts and working to fix it? You'd think they'd post about it. My problem is unchanged and I haven't changed anything.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

GWTamara has posted a couple of times on the Cooking Forum's similar thread... I don't know if she's aware of this thread as well.

Mamalynn, your son is correct...and since most people use IE many sites won't bother to check that their site works on Firefox or others and if you complain they tell you to use IE. (I'm in IT so I know this from experience on both sides!)

Another thing I've noticed is that when you have to click the Back button twice you lose the item you just left. I.e., the Forward button to go forward again doesn't work...it becomes disabled when you move the mouse cursor to it & the list of succeeding items is gone so you cannot go forward again to return to the latest item.

I didn't notice any of this at first b/c I always open a thread in a new tab. But when I went to post something and went back to check the original thread after a preview it started happening...and I lost the updates I had made to the message!

There's actually more going on than it appears....I notice that when I open a new thread, two are opened in the same tab. When I look at the history of back/forward it appears there are two...but they're identical.

Other quirks seem to be happening as well...like even when the back button works and the forward list is not lost you still cannot go forward even when you click the forwarded item.

All very weird!

All this is only happening on GW; other sites work just fine.

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

mamalynn, they are or at least one of them is, gwtamara. She posted on the Cooking Forum thread on this topic. I emailed her (tamara.amey@nbcuni.com) listing my problems, browser and other details. Heard back that they are checking into it. She wrote that they suspect it's a Firefox problem, not a GW problem and they've alerted Firefox. Not sure how it could be Firefox since GW is the only site I'm having issues with. And if you didn't change anything and you're having problems, that doesn't seem to point to a Firefox problem. But I admit that this stuff is confusing to me.

I just downloaded the newest Firefox program but it's too soon to tell if that fixed it. I did have to log in just now so that problem is still there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Font discussion at Cooking Forum

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

Hmmmm, still having to log in each time. Checked cookies, all's fine, not sure what's going on. Not having this issue elsewhere.

Still have to hit the back button twice.

So far, font isn't an issue but the incredible shrinking font was less of an issue yesterday than the day before so it might take some time before I can say if that problem is still there or if it's fixed.

At any rate, uploading the latest Firefox problem didn't fix things.

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

In a matter of minutes I went from having to hit the back button twice to only once.

Font hasn't shrunk (yet).

Still have to log in each time.

Here's another issue. Would someone please check the Finished Kitchen blog and see if they have to scroll way down (2 clicks of Page Down button) to see the entry? I checked this site the other day but thought the site had issues when I saw "Done" in the bottom left banner but no pictures so I exited before scrolling down. I think this is a related problem.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Firefox on my home computer has not changed and I am not having problems on any other site...

I hope we're not going to be the victims of finger pointing....

• plllog
    14 years ago

Lisa,

Are you sure you're not zoomed? Ctrl-(-) (control-minus) will zoom you out.

I didn't have the font issue, so don't completely understand...

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

That thought crossed my mind, too, buehl.

I just had to hit the back button twice. I'm starting to think it might have something to do with the ads here. The longer I'm in a thread, the more likely I have to hit the back button twice. I've experienced this at other sites before. If I check history under the "back" button, I see that I'd have to hit "back" 3, 4, or more times to get back to where I started. What a pain. I immediately exit those sites and don't return.

• natal
    14 years ago

I use Firefox on my Mac. For a couple days I noticed the font change, but at first I thought it was me because I had zoomed in on one of the forums. Then I read about other people getting the smaller font.

I haven't had any back clicking problems. Did recently download both the Adblock Plus and No Script updates for Firefox.

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

Missed your message, plllog. No, I'm not zoomed. I did use the ctrl+ option when the incredible shrinking font issue cropped up but not before and not normally.

The back clicking problem isn't consistent. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

So far today the font size is remaining stable (knocking wood furiously).

Still have to log in every blasted time. Have to ask hubby's help with that again. Something is definitely amiss there.

Has anyone checked the FKB for the double page scroll down problem that I posted about?

• Buehl
    14 years ago

No, no FKB problems. But, I think I know what your problem may be since I occasionally had this problem until I figured it out!

Be sure your browser window is wide enough to fit the kitchen that's currently being displayed. Try expanding your browser window so it's wider....that should bring the kitchen to the top.

BTW...the font issue others are talking about...have not experience this at all in either version of Firefox that I'm using.... I do have AdBlock Plus on both machines and I did update it, at least on my home machine (3.0.11) recently...sometime this past weekend. I don't remember updating my work machine yet (3.0.12).

• mamalynn
    14 years ago

I'm not having a problem with the Finished Kitchens Blog. At the moment, I'm not having the back button problem, but I was having it this morning. I am also still having the hourglass "busy" icon on almost every page of the kitchen forum as if the page never finishes loading, although no data is coming in. Down at the bottom of the browser window it says, "transferring data from t.pointroll.com..." Is that an ad? Is that what is causing the problem? I had the small font issue a few days ago, not now.

Again, I'm using SeaMonkey, not Firefox, and I haven't upgraded.

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

Thanks, buehl and mamalynn, for checking FKB.

buehl, you guessed the problem correctly. I usually don't open each page to the full width of my monitor (19") but I must have adjusted the margins to slightly smaller than usual (about an inch difference) and that was enough to throw that site out of whack. It's all better now. What a simple fix (and a doh! moment, too).

• Buehl
    14 years ago

LOL Lisa! That was my reaction too when I figured out what I was doing wrong!

• plllog
    14 years ago

It's weirder than you think!! If you do a back button, then click the drop arrow it shows the the page you're on as a page forward as well as the current page.

I've been noticing the same thing about the loading timer for several days. It's rarely done though I seem to see everything. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was that ad thing. Considering I never blocked ads before GW, but this place has the world's most annoying ads!