SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmfoodie

Panicky in PA--good choice to remodel??

lmfoodie
14 years ago

I was just up with my teething toddler in the wee hours and could not go back to sleep. Thing is, we signed our contract with our builder...and he is set to start next Monday! Ack! There's no turning back, and now I'm starting to second guess everything, from the little details to the big decision to remodel in the first place.

Maybe I don't really need a better kitchen--people have put up with worse, for longer. And maybe I should have spent more time analyzing (obsessing?) over the choices. We have planned to go with Scherr's cabinetry, but I'm a bit nervous going with a company so far away. Maybe my layout needs more tweeking. Are my aisles the right width? What cabinet inserts shall I use? And now I have to look at sinks, lighting fixtures, and write one honking big check for appliances. Am I just commitment-phobic?

I like and trust our builder, but stuff inevitably crops up, right? We've itemized everything we could in the budget and contract, but let's face it, this is an old house. We don't know what's in those walls. And just today, the lawn sprinkler guy had to come out and mark all the sprinkler heads so that the builder's backhoe doesn't destroy them (we're excavating around the back exterior of the house.) And, we're going to have to move out with two little kids--it's just too much right now.

We refinanced the house 3 months ago in part to do this project, but now I'm wondering if we shouldn't have put that money toward other long-term expenses (kids' college tuition? retirement nest egg?) I do believe that one should enjoy and fully use one's house, but maybe we should not have allowed ourselves to fall in love with this home and would have been bettor off moving.

I know this coulda'-shoulda' thinking is pointless, but I am spiraling out of control here. It's like going down the rabbit hole. My husband is puzzled at my meltdown; he says,"It'll all be great, hon." Please shake me out of this!

Comments (13)