SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Multi-Level Work Table As Substitute For More Counter Space?

John Liu
13 years ago

I am thinking about a piece of kitchen furniture that might address some specific needs that I have.

That need is, of course, for more counter space. You can never have too much counter, but my kitchen is small enough, and pierced with enough doors (back door, 1/2 bath door, dining room passage, hallway passage, basement door) that I will only be able to have counters along one wall of the room. Short of moving load-bearing walls - totally not in the budget, or in the character of this old Four Square - there is nothing I can do about that. I was planning a very small island - about 3.5' x 2.5' - in the center of the room, but that won't be enough. Somehow we have got to warp the fabric of space-time to get me an additional six or seven feet of counter.

So I was thinking, what do I need that additional counter space for, anyway? I realized that a lot of the time, I wouldn't need to actually ''work'' at the hoped-for additional counter. I simply need a place to set big mixing bowls, sheet trays, serving platters, dishes awaiting food, mise bowls, resting meat, waiting ingredients. All things that are broad, but not that tall.

Hmm. Maybe what I really need are shelves. So an idea arrived. Suppose, instead of an island, I had a work table. And suppose that work table had two more ''levels'' - not sure what to call these - beneath the table top. The top at 40'' height, then the next level at 26'' height, and the lowest level at 12'' height. 12'' of vertical clearance between each level, allowing for the table material. I would gain about 17 sq ft of surface to put stuff on. The middle level would be fairly easy to get to. The lowest level would be inconvenient, but I could probably use some deep knee bends. Ahem.

For various reasons, a moveable work table probably makes a lot more sense in my space than a fixed island, anyway.

Does anyone have something like this? Can you think of a way to make it attractive?

Comments (11)