SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

construction of laminate counter top

Debbie Downer
17 years ago

Im in the middle of building laminate countertops-- there's no turning back now! If someone out there could help me work thru some of the details Id very much appreciate it!

I have the 2 layers of particle board glued and trimmed to size with a straight edge router. One counter is 6' long and the other 8'. The 6' one is OK but one side of the 8' length is not perfectly straight -- its off by by about 1/16 or 1/8". For some reason the router dipped in slightly as it was moving down one of the 8' sides. In other words, the straight-edge is straight but the router did not cut straight... for some unknown reason. Its like the pressure of the router against the straight-edge pushes it in slightly. I tried doing the trim again not pushing in so hard, and the same thing happened!

It looks OK to me and its not noticeable at all... but it won't cause any problems when it comes to gluing on the laminate, will it?

Another question related to gluing on laminate--I have the particle board pieces sitting on saw horses but notice there is some slight sagging where they are not supported. Do I need to get them completely supported and perfectly level and not sagging? If you apply the laminate to a slightly sagging piece of particleboard will it straighten out when you attach it to the cabinets? Or will it have no give to it and be permanently warped? I just don't have all that many sawhorses or other means of support so I'm wondering how much of a perfectionist I need to be.

And then - how do you go about gluing the edges or side pieces on to the counter? Someone said to put your particle board base on its side but I just don't have the space... or the strength... to maneuver this big piece around my kitchen, and besides how would you support it while its on its side so you can safely router around the edges? I can't figure that out at all... not like I have a giant vise which would hold it upright.

What I'd like to do is lay the particle board out horizontally and laminate the side strips on vertically, and then the top piece horizontally. Has anyone done this? I'd have to hold the rounter sideways then to trim.

Any other pitfalls I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any and all input... I just can't afford to make a mistake here, have a good bit of time & $$$ invested in all these materials....

Comments (9)