SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sparky72333

Kitchen Layout - Need Your Help!

sparky72333
13 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this site. I found such great info as I was searching ideas and appliances, I thought maybe you all could help me figure out a layout to work in my kitchen. We are adding on to the back of our house, and there will be a new morning room directly off the kitchen where our kitchen table will be. So I have lots of space for cabinets and islands, but I don't have a lot of wall space. My kitchen designer is not up to par, but he's who my contractor gets cabinets from. So we've come up with 3 layouts and have pros and cons to each.

Below was our original layout. Turns out we have a support beam that forces us to have a wall where we didn't want one, and thus prevents us from using the new morning room space to widen our kitchen. But this drawing gives you a full layout with the morning room.

{{!gwi}}

This layout has the range on the island. The biggest problem is ventilation, which everyone is telling me is inadequate. I'm 5'8", and an island hood is installed at 66" from the ground (2" below me) which is a problem. Downdraft ventilation either doesn't work well or is too loud. But it solves the problem of wall space, and all the appliances and sink are in close proximity to each other.

{{!gwi}}

This layout preserves the 2 islands that we originally wanted, but takes away the seating. So it's really a big island blocking the refrigerator, and doesn't seem very functional. But because of the open floor plan, there is easy access to the pantry (the wall on the right of the image).

{{!gwi}}

Lastly, this layout has lots of workspace, but the fridge is still a little out of the way (is that a big deal?) but also the pantry is hard to get to. The layout is not as open as we had originally wanted, but it provides access to all the appliances.

{{!gwi}}

I'm open to any and all suggestions, tips, etc. We were supposed to be ordering our cabinets this week and they're already ready to start taking apart my kitchen! I really need help. Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my mess!!

Comments (24)