SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisy11_gw

Need your help with Zones and layout

daisy11
13 years ago

I am looking for some advice on a kitchen design/layout. A few details:

This is a 1938 colonial home. We are a family of 3 with 1-2 cooks in the kitchen at meal times. We tend not to use convenience foods. Mainly scratch cooking.

Original kitchen was a galley style and sometime in the 50s it was expanded and updated with a U shaped design with attached eat in area and desk/transition area. The U shape is 10 ft wide (wall to wall) with one leg 9ft 3inches and the other 11ft 9 inches. Things I like about the kitchen include: lots of counter space, adequate storage (place for everything), efficient working in the U. I do not like the one bowl sink (need double) and lighting is quite poor.

I am looking to gut the kitchen/desk/eat in area and start over. I have included a current floor plan and also a new plan for the U part of it. Unless there are other suggestions on the entire layout, we are probably going to replace the desk area with new counter and cabinets in the existing area and would build a new closet with shelving in the nook between the garage and dining room.

Goals

Would like to keep windows and walls as it but optimize the design of the current space.

Current kitchen has a separate cook top and wall oven (single oven is sufficient for me) which is outside the U. KD have initially thought it should really be inside the U, but I am concerned over loss of counter space. So I am considering an all in one range unless I can get some other good ideas.

Where should the refrigerator go? KD suggested going on inside wall by garage, but it feels more bulky here to me.

Need to confirm prep, cook, clean zones are good

Thanks for any input. I have also included current pictures.

Daisy11

The current layout

The new option

Current kitchen

Comments (6)