SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merimom_gw

Problem w/ color of kitchen tiles - Bill V, are you out there?

14 years ago

We recently received our special order porcelain tiles after waiting nearly 4 months for them to be shipped from Italy. We bought tiles in both 13x13 and 19x19 sizes and were going to lay them in what I think is called a hopscotch pattern.

We are DIYers so we were taking some time laying out our pattern and figuring out our "plan of attack" when we realized that all but 1 box of the 19s is quite a great deal darker than any of the boxes of 13's. The 19s are all much darker so when we lay out the pattern it appears more "checkerboard" than blended.

Pictures speak a thousand words, so here you go...

The first 2 photos are of the 13x13 tiles (any box...they are the same in the amount of color variation within each box and tile) and of the first box of 19x19 tiles that we grabbed, which happened to be the ONE BOX which is similar color to the 13s we have.

Lighter 19s (with flash)

{{gwi:1910630}}

Lighter 19s (no flash)

{{gwi:1910631}}

The 3rd and 4th photos are of the 13s and a box of the darker 19s.

With darker 19s (with flash)

{{gwi:1910632}}

With darker 19's (no flash)

{{gwi:1910633}}

I sent an email to my sales rep with the photos and followed up with a phone call. The initial response has been that were is variation within lots and we should blend from several boxes and turn the tiles until we get a look we like. I told her I did not think that would work when all the 13s are one color and (virtually) all the 19s are another color, the end result is looking like we deliberately used 2 different colors in a "checkboard" pattern. However, I told her we would open several boxes this evening to get a better feel for what we have. We just did that and there is no denying that the 19s are just a different color, despite the fact that all the boxes say "Cream". The 13s are all one lot number and the 19s are all another lot number. (Well, we are not convinced that the one lighter box of 19s is from the same lot as all the other dark ones. The sales rep said their system says the 19s are all the same lot (even that one lighter box), but we can't say that for sure because my DH threw away the box they came in - Ugh! He does know that he grabbed that box first because it had already been opened and taped back together). The store states they do not carry the 19s in stock and all the 19s we received came in the same shipment.

So at this point I am looking for any advice. We are not sure what the solution is here. We will not be happy with what we have, that's for sure.

We can't wait another 3-4 months for a shipment of new 19x19 tiles, especially since we have no way of knowing what we will end up with.

We like the color variation of the 13x13 tiles and they have more of those in stock, but we really wanted to mix a couple different sizes and not just have the standard 12x12 tile floor.

If we could get our hands on more of the lighter 19x19 tiles we could use them to blend the darker tiles, but the one box of lighter 19s that we have is not going to be enough to blend over 700 sq ft of floor.

I apologize if I am rambling...I just can't believe we waited 4 months and we STILL can't tile the floor. We put $1200 down 4 months ago and just paid the balance of $1200 when we picked them up. I suppose we could challenge that amount with our credit card and start over, but that still has us out the $1200 down payment.

Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions? Am I crazy?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor