SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canishel

Bill V and others: how to grout rectified tile,bullnose problems

canishel
15 years ago

I've searched the GW forums, John Bridges, and Google searches, but still need to make sure that one of the problems requires removing grout. I'm hoping against hope that grout doesn't have to be removed, so here goes...

Problem 1.

Have rectified porcelain tile in gray, with gray grout. The tile isn't "color-body" (term?) The installer used 1/8" spacers (not 1/16", because he "doesn't do less than 1/8"). The floor looks good with the 1/8" spacing. The problem is the grout isn't level with the tile edge,so some of the uncolored tile is visible. This is not a huge issue, but if it is readily fixable, how can it be fixed so that the grout meets the level of the tile?

Problem 2.

The cut long edge of the bullnose, that is, the side opposite the bullnose edge, is chipped/pitted on all pieces. This is a manufacturing problem. The edge resembles plywood cut from the wrong side. The rep is going to send more bullnoses from another lot number, but two lot numbers have this problem, so I doubt if this third lot will be any different.

The manufacturer's rep and the dealer are working very hard to solve this problem and are willing to absorb some of the cost associated with fixing it. But I need advice in case they can't solve it.

Square tiles in shower already installed (1/8" spacing) but not grouted. Awaiting solution with bullnose problem.

If the grout is the same level as the tile, the pitting might be obscured. So how does one grout to get the same level?

Can the bullnose pits be painted? If so, with what?

Can enough sealer be used to level the grout? Can sealer be colored?

I really like this tile, but didn't know enough to request samples of bullnose before making the decision.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Comments (5)