SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mydreamhome_gw

Bill V, Mogoct, & Other Tile Experts--Pls Help w/ Kitchen BS ?s

mydreamhome
11 years ago

I know this is the bathroom forum, but as someone else recently stated, "this is where the tile experts are!"

DH & I are trying to decide on the tile backsplash for our kitchen. We are planning to only tile on the range wall mainly because after living & cooking in the house for a year, that's the only area where the wall gets messy. We have some 18x18 tumbled marble tile (almond beige) left from another project that I really like a lot that I think we have enough of for the BS, but I'm worried about staining from food splatters--tomato sauce, grease, etc. If the tumbled won't work, I have a similar honed Turkish marble backup in mind. What are your thoughts/experiences?

The other option I was thinking about going with is a ceramic/porcelain subway tile and centering an accent section above the rangetop. The accent tile we like is a mini-brick mosaic that has some small marble tiles interspersed with lots of glass mini-brick tiles (tiles are ~1" x 1/2"). The worry here is having more grout lines and subsequently staining them with tomato sauce, grease, etc. The marble mini-bricks also worry me, but they will be up higher from the rangetop and there will be fewer of them. Any thoughts/experience on the grout staining and cleanup?

What are your grout recommendations? We will likely go with a pearl color. I prefer unsanded for the smooth look. In the bathrooms, the unsanded has been far easier to clean than the sanded, so I'm guessing the same would hold true in the kitchen.

Thanks for any help/insight you can give!

Comments (7)