SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Question for Bill V.

2ajsmama
15 years ago

I posted on John Bridge last summer when I was having problem with tile in kitchen and foyer. Installer didn't use thinset under Hardibacker, just screwed 1/4" to 23/32" OSB Sturd-I-Flor, didn't tape seams. 9 months later I had 15sf on each side of my front door loose and 30 sf in kitchen - nothing stuck to tile, or all stuck to tile - we were lifting 4 ft in each direction with putty knife, only thing holding it together was grout. He swears someone walked on it too soon - I found it b/c grout was cracking in corner by floor vent in foyer (not a high traffic area - too close to corner/wall) and the kitchen floor sounded like Rice Krispies. He came and fixed those areas, put in more screws and they seem to be holding fine but now I have more crackling tiles esp. near basement door (right next to where he stopped repairs at the pantry). The mudroom which is the most-used part of the house that he tiled has never had any issues. I thought maybe he troweled on too big an area, started from middle of foyer (design) and it set up by the time he got to edges? In the kitchen I know he started by the range on opposite side of island from basement/pantry doors since he started with the radiant-heat section. That section is fine.

So do you think the floor preparation is OK, though not ideal, and I can pull up the noisy tiles starting at the basement steps and maybe put some more screws in, just replace those tiles? Or is my entire 400 sf of discontinued tile going to have to come up and put 3/4" plywood instead of the 1/4" CBU?

The bathroom floor that DB and I did 2 months b4 I hired someone to do downstairs tile has 1/4" Hardi over the builder's OSB, we did use thinset under and over the CBU and it's been fine. Our only working tub so it gets a lot of use from 4 people. It'll be 2 years this summer that we put in the tile.

Thanks

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz