SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitchen4us_gw

Bill Vincent.other tile experts-tile install problem

kitchen4us
17 years ago

I sure hope you can help. Apx. 300 square feet of porcelain rectified through body tile (12") was installed on the diagonal apx. 2 weeks ago. At the time the installer noticed some bad spots, but also planned to replace at least a couple of bad areas. We ran a box short so it took another week or so to have another box w/ the same dye lot shipped. We ordered an extra box just in case.

Then the additional box of tile was installed, and the entire floor was grouted w/ a neutral color. He left with the haze on the floor, which he asked if we would wash the floor with water over the next few days to remove the haze. There did not appear to be a problem until later that week when the real results were seen.

A 3/16" joint was agreed on, which he started with, but in many areas it is 1/4" and even 5/16" in one key area. Grid lines are noticeably off in several areas, which seems to indicate spacers were not consistenly used (looks like it was "eyeballed"). In at least 5 ares in the kitchen there are high spots, I think some refer to this as a "lip" -- one of the corners(and only 1 corner is up while the rest of the tile flush with the surrounding tile). The diagnoal pieces that were cut around the perimeter of the kitchen appear to also have been set without spacers because there is a hairline groutline on one side of the diagnoal and a wider-than usual grountline on the other side.

In the adjacent room there are other tile that were set that have the corner chipped off, not a lot of times, but enough to make me wonder why these weren't replaced since we had extra tile left. What should we do? What is the most tactful way to handle this? The referral was through a good friend. Please advise.

Comments (5)