SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluekitobsessed

Big space above fridge - did KD mess up?

bluekitobsessed
15 years ago

Fridge moved in yesterday and there's a 3.25" gap at top of fridge. This is a stand alone LG, not a built in. Today I asked KD/cabinet co rep why such a large gap and she said it was needed for ventilation. Above the fridge is a 36w x 20h x 24d cabinet (which she said would be used to store cookie sheets, but for short people might as well be Siberia...but that's for another post).

I have a sneaking suspicion that she just forgot to make the cabinet 2-3" taller and order trim as needed. At the last minute we changed all uppers from 36" to 39" because I decided I'd rather have 3 inches more storage and less molding. This one, not being a 36" upper, didn't get changed.

I thought that stand alone fridges vented out the back, not the top? I know she wanted the fridge to look like a built in, and the 3" gap rather defeats that purpose, doesn't it? Would the gap bother you, TKO people? Should she supply a piece of trim? I'm more than happy to just put in some trim -- I'm not asking for a cabinet replacement -- but I don't want her to charge me for it.

Comments (19)