SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mayo510

Creative ideas needed for space above fridge

Mayo510
9 years ago

Returning to the forum after remodeling plans fell apart a couple of years, and a couple of major life events, ago. This forum was so helpful then, I'm hoping now to find some help for my new make-the-most-of-what-I've-got needs.

My kitchen has a 33" wide and 81" tall refrigerator nook that fits a 30" refrigerator - my spiffy new refrigerator below.

My old refrigerator was substantially shorter than my new one, and we kept the microwave on top. I'm happy with my taller, roomier new refrigerator, except, now, what to do with that space on top?

I'm not at all a heavy microwave user - 1-2 times/week, melt butter, reheat leftovers, make popcorn - and having it up high has not been inconvenient, but, again, my old fridge was several inches shorter. It's up there in the picture because I was testing if it still fit, and it does. I'd have to find something to use as a base so that I could slide it forward and the door could clear the hinge at the top, but it would work. There are just under 13" of clearance above the hinge bar. Some more pics:

But, it's kind of ridiculous crammed up there, isn't it? I *could* put it on a counter that I'm building to the left of the fridge, but I'm worried that counter space will already be too appliance-heavy (toaster-oven, mixer, food processor). I am also considering going with a microwave shelf wall cabinet as part of that bank. I've got Ikea cabinets (Orsa Birch) elsewhere in the kitchen, and right now have a large cart in that location to the left of the fridge, but with Akurum/Rationell being discontinued, I decided to go with a matching bank while I could.

And, if the microwave is not on top of the fridge, what can that space be used for? It's too short for any sort of fridgetop cabinet - well, at least, for the Ikea ones. Any way to use it as a space for storing the couple-times-a-year roasting and baking pans? Without them looking too cluttered or getting dusty? I thought about just a tension rod and short curtain - solves the clutter look issue, but not the dust, and might look strange. Certainly cheap, though, and cheap is good. Any experienced Ikea hackers out there have ideas for making a cabinet with that space?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (22)