SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judibean_gw

Finished NYC galley kitchen on a budget!

judibean
10 years ago

Hi all,
I've finally completed my kitchen! I've been a long-time lurker on this forum and have been planning my kitchen since Feb this year. It's been challenging to get this done on a budget, and in NYC at that, but we did manage to keep costs down quite a bit and still have a decent upgrade.

Here are some before and after pics. Our kitchen is a long galley eat-in kitchen, which is common in NYC in a lot of pre-war apts. There are two "rooms" to the kitchen broken up by knee walls. We concentrated our remodel in the functional part of the kitchen where the cooking gets done.

First, the nitty-gritty details on materials:

cabs - IKEA for the boxes
door and drawer fronts - Cabinet Authority, white shaker style in Designer White
countertop - Caesarstone, Raven
pulls - Amerock Westerly, 128mm
backsplash � marble, "Calacatta white" (possibly mislabeled - looks more like a lighter version of Carrara?)
range hood - IKEA Luftig
sink - Krauss
faucet - Elkay classic
stove - (old) Bosch
dishwasher - (old) Whirlpool
fridge - (old) Samsung
floors - (old) unpolished travertine
shelving - DIY, red oak dyed in dark brown then coated with a matte poly finish
shelving brackets - Whittington classic
undercab lighting - InspiredLED tape lights on dimmer
(not shown in action right now)
paint - Benjamin Moore, Bashful Blue

Total cost for material and labor: $13,000. We budgeted $10,000 but ended up going with marble and expensive shelf brackets and other last-minute fanciful things, but in the end, we were both satisfied with the final cost. Materials ended up costing more than labor, surprisingly. The trick is to NOT use any contractors from Manhattan. Grab them from the outer boroughs or outside of NYC completely. Our co-op building is very strict about them being licensed and insured and we managed to find all six contractors meeting those requirements off Angie's List. They turned out to be great!

The only part we did ourselves were the open shelving, the capping of the knee walls, and installing the base cabs. I would be happy to answer any questions you have about the kitchen! I am just so glad it's over. It was 2 months of anxiety that has finally dissipated.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Comments (30)

Sponsored