SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amsunshine_gw

Finished Modest, Budget Kitchen

amsunshine
16 years ago

Hi all: My kitchen was done last summer/fall, and I've only gotten around to taking representative photos now. We had a very strict budget of $15K or less and stuck to it-mostly because we acted as our own GC's. This forum was so tremendously helpful during the remodel and I thank everyone for your hints and advice! I'm really not good at staging, and this is a very simple, modest remodel with no fancy accessories compared to all the gorgeous kitchens posted here, so I'm almost hesitant to post. But I wanted to show those who have modest budgets how I was able to pack as much storage and efficiency into my small galley kitchen as possible -- even with a lower budget. We initially wanted to perhaps reface to save some money, but in the end, we realized that, to get the efficiency and storage we desperately needed, not to mention a dishwasher, we had to start from scratch. Our family is really enjoying our new space -- and having a dishwasher (finally) is the best part!!

Details:

Cabinets and moldings: Kraftmaid maple, toffee stain from buycabinets.com

Pullout Trays: Kraftmaid pullouts from ebay

Sink: Ticor single basin sink from galaxy tools (also from ebay)

Hardware: Top Knobs Somerset Cup Pulls, Nouveau Suitcase Pulls and Knobs from myknobs.com

Disposal: 3/4 HP batch feed disposal from WasteKing

Lighting: Kichler pendant and flush mount ceiling fixture in satin nickel from lightingdirect.com

Undercabinet lighting: WAC fluorescent lights from local lighting store

Flooring: Marmoleum sheet flooring in Umbra (love this floor!)

Countertops: Verde Butterfly granite with eased edge

Appliances: K/A dishwasher; GE Profile bottom freezer r/f w/o icemaker; Frigidaire SpeedBake gas range; Existing GE microhood

Backsplash: American Olean Subway tiles from Lowes; grout in oyster grey

Paint: Benjamin Moore Crown Point Sand

Cushy cupboards shelf liner from ebay

Before:

{{gwi:1735115}}

After:

{{gwi:1729062}}

Before:

{{gwi:1735118}}

After:

{{gwi:1735120}}

Before (floor):

{{gwi:1735122}}

After (floor):

{{gwi:1735124}}

Cabinets to the ceiling add lots of storage!!

{{gwi:1735126}}

Extra pullouts for flat storage of microfiber cloths, dishtowels and placemats:

{{gwi:1735127}}

One side of pantry stores mops, brooms, stepladder and dustbuster:

{{gwi:1735129}}

Other side of pantry with some pullout trays is very convenient:

{{gwi:1735131}}

Appliance garage doubles as a message center/charging station and tiny grommet in the side hides phone wires:

{{gwi:1735133}}

Comments (48)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm