SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
honeychurch_gw

Floor choice in period kitchen--ack! (Long)

honeychurch
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

My house is from 1873, and has heart pine through most of the house. Kitchen currently has countless layers of tile and linoleum over what we believe is also heart pine (looking up from basement).

We had originally considered removing all the layers and going with the original wood. However:

1) Almost 1/2 the kitchen is an addition from 1968 that used to be a front porch, so while there is wood under there, it is not the same wood and will not match.

2) We NEED radiant floor heat (staple up hydronic) as there is no other heat in the room, and there is no subfloor (what you see is what you get) which is a problem. Also nervous about cracking/warping etc. We'd probably have to put NEW wood over the old--and then I have to deal with matching the rooms on either side.

Then I was going to use Portstone for a brick paver look, but we just uncovered an original brick chimney we are going to leave exposed and now the Portstone doesn't look right anymore.

We've considered marmoleum and the like, but ruled it out as it is already in the sunroom off the kitchen and the colors don;t work to carry it through.

So then I started thinking about tile, but almost everything looks too rustic or italian or modern. So I started looking at hex tile, and octagon dot patterns (found a nice one in a honey tone)--very period appropriate, but most of them:

a) seem to be saltillo in the larger sizes, which doesn't match our look

b)are very small (1-2"), seem mostly to be used in bathrooms, and may be overwhelming/headache-inducing over a large expanse of kitchen floor (though I recall seeing it in hotel lobbies and the like, so maybe not)?

Our kitchen will have cabinets in gray-blue, deep sage, and off-white, unfitted look, soapstone, copper backsplash if that helps.

If you were me, what would you do? Any suggestions appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: tile possibility

Comments (27)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County