SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Humid FLA, concrete slab--best floor choice type. Don't want tile

julieste
4 years ago

We just bought a 40-year-old, 2nd home in a townhouse style with a 1st and 2nd floor. Current flooring is a mix of yukky, old carpet and old Pergo . It all is going to be replaced (ceramic in one bathroom will probably stay though).

I plan to use the same flooring on both floors, so that means the flooring will also go in the kitchen and two of the bathrooms.

I don't want ceramic because it is too hard on backs, feet and legs. As I understand, true hardwood floors are not a good choice in FLA because of the high humidity. I really dislike laminate. So, I have been focusing on high-end, LVP with a rigid backing (most likely Flooret), but now I am wondering if engineered hardwood could also be a possible choice, or if there are climatic problems associated with this, especially on the first floor concrete slab. We already realize that we will need to install some sort of thin vapor barrier.

This is not on the beach, but is in a highly wooded area near saltwater so I can anticipate dirt. And, we have a dog. I am looking for great looks, super ease of care, moderate cost, and good durability. Home is 300K to 350K range.

Thoughts? Is LVP my best choice, or are there other options? Thanks.

Comments (51)