SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
indie_rhythm

Which wood types are options for slab cabinets in humid environments?

Indie Rhythm
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Would like to update the kitchen and bathrooms in this oceanfront condo. It's humid/hot for 6-8 months of the year. Current doors and cabinets are solid wood and made from a local tropical hardwood called Parota. Does anyone like this look? So far II don't think I like the busy/zebra like grain pattern and as this wood lightens it gets a bit orange. Another tropical hardwood used often is Primavera, but it is also busy and leans towards orange. The cabinet maker I'm talking with has explained (and the threads here on Houzz mostly agree) that solid wood slab style cabinets are not a good option because of warping, but he can use cabinet grade plywood with a wood veneer with Parota or Primavera. THREE questions... 1. can anyone suggest attractive wood options that will hold up in a humid environment? 2. The doors and closets and laundry room cabinets are also this same Parota. Would you change those out also, or can they coexist with the new cabinets? 3. A few people have suggested that I let go of my idea of custom cabinets and work with a reputable kitchen cabinet fabrication company (instead of a one-man cabinet maker/carpenter) opening options for all kinds of finishes. I'd enjoy hearing any thoughts, advice, guidance. Thank you!

First three pics are the kitchen/master bath/master closets. Next three pics are just a few examples sent to me by a friend that I like (but have no idea the wood types). I'd happily go with a lighter color wood as well.

Comments (17)