SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buffalotina

Mixing Period Cabinets with New Help Suggestions Please!

buffalotina
15 years ago

I have seen so many wonderful pictures of finished kitchens where you all have cleverly combined different types of cabinets in one kitchen. I desperately need to "update" my kitchen in my 1927 house but am very loathe to rip out my upper cabinets and a gorgeous floor to ceiling pantry type cabinet which I could never part with. Pics are posted below. I think these cabinets may be original to the house or perhaps 50s? Not sure. Anywho, I sanded, primed and painted them several years ago and I really do love my blue. Basically there is a "sink run", a wall with the cooking appliances and then the tall cabinet with a space to the left of it (refrigerator used to be here I moved it to the breakfast nook). But, I need/have to get rid of everything on the wall with the cooktop and oven and I am going to replace it with a 30" gas range with a barrel style hood above and a 24" inch cabinet to the right and a small 12" or so landing space to the left. I also want to add a new base cabinet (drawers) where the wire cart organizer thing is to the left of the tall blue cabinet. I think I should also tear out the lowers in the sink run for several reasons: (1) They are only 22" deep and it is difficult to put a nice big sink in; (2) I think there won't be much left of them by the time I demo the counter top and tile and I want to set new countertop on good solid squared up units. (3) The drawer boxes are cheap things I had made a few years ago so really the only thing "period" and original left is the doors so I don't feel too bad getting rid of them. (4) The paint finish chips easily and is hard to maintain. I think I can continue to keep up the paint finish on the uppers and the tall cabinet but I really want to get to as maintenance free as possible at this stage.

{{gwi:1781237}}
{{gwi:1781238}}
{{gwi:1781240}}
{{gwi:1781242}}

So, my thoughts are to put quarter sawn oak shaker style cabinets in all the lowers including new ones next to the range and in the space next to the tall cabinet. Above that one and next to the tall cabinet I would put open shelving, probably built by my contractor but painted blue and white to match the existing uppers. I was thinking I would get rid of the tile altogether and do a black countertop with a matching backsplash all around. Range would have a tall SS backsplash with chefs shelf attached. I think with everything going on with retrofits and mixed cabinetry etc and the budget I don't really need to add tile on top and it could look overdone. The central island cart thing would go and would be replaced with something nicer or perhaps a custom one to match the new lowers.

Help!!! Can I do this? Will it look like hell? If I do new lowers should they be a painted white or what? I think wood would be easier to keep up and less prone to chipping which I am trying to get away from and I can always touch up with stain. Also thinking blue uppers and white lowers might be too country and perhaps quarter sawn oak lowers mission style would give the look some weight. Also I should say that to the right of the existing wall oven is the door to my dining room and I have a Stickley mission dining set which echos the QS oak theme:

View to DR:

{{gwi:1781244}}

A piece of QS oak next to blue cabinet with a black countertop mockup:

{{gwi:1781245}}

BTW, the range could have a black or white front and I have a kit to put my DW to black if needed. Also, I cannot get into the expense of inset doors - will have to do full overlay. Please ignore the flooring for now it is laminate and down the road I will replace it with Marmoleum or something more period appropriate.

Sorry for the long post and any ideas are most most welcome. Thank you!!

Tina

Comments (15)