SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brown126_gw

Cabico, Thomasville, Kitchen Craft, trying to decide

brown126
15 years ago

We are in the planning stages of a kitchen project and we are now faced with the following options. I am looking for any advice based on your experiences on which way we should head on this project. We are doing a kitchen renovation and have been shopping around.

Our first option is Home Depot with Thomasville full overlay framed cabinets. The rough estimate we got from HD was around $13,000 for the cabinets. My only concern with HD is that it is hit or miss with the designer. Although he seems like a really good guy, the designer appears to be putting cabinets in the plan just to fill space. You know what I mean. For example he put a double over right next to the fridge and a wall to ceiling pantry right next to the double oven. The other two designers we met with said you really need a counter next to the double over.

Our second option is through a local dealer in both stock and custom cabinets. We were looking at Kitchen Craft full overlay framless stock cabinets with all plywood construction. The designer definitely put a better initial plan together than HD. I also got the dealer to waive any design fees. The estimate we go from this dealer for the cabinets approximately $16,000.

Our third option was through a more high end local dealer specializing in high end cabinets. During the initial planning phase, we really wanted inset cabinets but we realized they were out of our budget. This dealer was able to locate beaded inset cabinets made by Cabico with melamine or particle board boxes. The design prepared was for approximately 5-6 less linear feet than the Thomasvill and Kitchen Craft cabinets. The estimate we got was $17,500 for the cabinets with $1,500 for four design meetings. The catch to this one is $3,000 in shipping costs. Essentially, the cost would be around $21,000 for the Cabico cabinets. From researching, I found out that Cabico is a good buy in semi custom cabinets.

Although we really want inset cabinets, we are now weighing our options.

We would appreciate any thoughts on your experiences, the above manufacturers and ideas for moving forward.

Thanks so much.

Comments (8)