SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vanebeard

IKEA vs Thomasville kitchen cabinets

vanebeard
14 years ago

Hey everyone, my wife and I are renovating our kitchen and are trying to decide between getting kitchen cabinets or getting a divorce. haha just kidding, sort of. I've read through most of the posts on cabinets on this forum and others, and the advice seems split. Both thomasville and IKEA cabinets seem to be widely used with their share of happy customers and horror stories. I'm just wondering if anyone can give me some advice that will put one ahead of the other, or suggest a third option.

The quote my wife got from Home Depot for Thomasville was about 11K which seems in line with what others are getting, but IKEA is thousands less. Both seem like they are made of MDF, and have similar levels of customization. Ikea looks like they use better hardware and have better features (soft close drawers etc). Although they are knock-down and you have to assemble them yourself, but what difference does it make if I glue it or it gets glued by someone at the factory? So my real question is...where do those extra thousands go? Is it just branding and marketing, or is there some substance to it that makes thomasville better quality? We are only going to be living in this house 3 more years at the most, and want to get the best resale we can, so any advice would be appreciated, particularly if there are any contractors out there who have installed both and can speak to their finer points.

thanks

Comments (17)