SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annaw_123

Benefits of Ikea Cabinets vs Paint Old Cabinets?

annaw_123
9 years ago

The kitchen in our new to us house has 1990's builder grade cabinets with formica. Our plan was to paint them white and try to live with the 1990's pinkish formica for a few years. And if we couldn't stand the formica anymore, get granite countertops installed over the painted cabinets because the cost of new countertops is not that much.

The cabinets are in decent shape but they are not ideal for storage. They have those awful 1/2 shelf on the bottom cabs.

I think I can do things with the cabinets to increase the storage like install pull-out shelves.

I've just received a salary increase which would allow us to afford new cabinets and new appliances. But I hate to pull out perfectly good cabinets if I can deal with their shortcomings.

In terms of storage and functionality of the kitchen, is a new Ikea kitchen that superior to a standard builder grade kitchen? I can add pullout shelves to our kitchen but I know space will be lost. I've never had anything other than builder grade kitchen cabinets so I'm not sure what I'm missing, KWIM?

I'm assuming that all of those cool storage things in the model kitchens at Ikea add significantly to your overall cost.

We'll probably be in the house about 5 years and I think the cabinets will last at least that long. The standard update in our neighborhood is painted cabinets topped with new granite or quartz paired with new SS appliances.

Comments (9)