SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stillpitpat

how to arrange the fridge panels & the above cabinet?? Ikea vs Scherrs

stillpitpat
6 years ago

I'm sure this is explained somewhere but it's confusing to me to read explanations with other people's dimensions, especially if they are doing custom, since we are doing Ikea. If you have the time and patience to explain this to me, I would really appreciate it.

We are doing Ikea cabs and Scherrs fronts, and it looks like we *will* be doing the side panels for the fridge. I resisted, but I do not want the gray side of my SS fridge exposed, and getting a SS-wrapped fridge would be difficult and expensive. So how do we manage the cabinet above the fridge and the side panels? You don't put up a cabinet and then attach a long panel next to it, right? The panel is the side support for the cabinet, I assume? So do I order the cabinet from Ikea, order the side panels from Scherr's, and then swap them out for the sides of the cabinet for installation (or, more precisely, have the contractor do that)? Or do I just order the whole above-the-fridge cabinet, with the panel pieces, from Scherr's? It will be next to an Ikea cabinet (see pic). Does that matter? Will it throw a monkey wrench into the contractor's work to install 95% Ikea boxes and then one "regular" box?

My other question is how deep you make the cabinet and panels. If we do the Ikea cabinet, then it would be 24" deep. If we do Scherr's, then I suppose the sky is the limit. We haven't picked out a fridge yet, but from my searching I think it will be 33" or 34" deep (with doors). It will be a bottom-freezer unit, and I know you can't make the cabinet as deep as the fridge or you wouldn't be able to open the door. Is 24" a good cabinet/panel depth for a 33" deep fridge?

And yes, this is the layout (but to the far left is the DW, not more drawers).

Comments (41)