SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladyamity

A Funny Thing Happened on the way to pick out Grout

ladyamity
13 years ago

Those of you who checked in and responded to my first two posts regarding my "small dishwasher leak turned major kitchen disaster" and offered all your wonderful words of advise and encouragement....I felt I owed you an update.

Three weeks ago we sealed the loose slate tiles with Enhancer/Sealer and decided it was time to try again to find the perfect matching grout for our slate floor.

Up to that time, quick looks at grout colors while we were at Ho-De or Lowes didn't produce one of those "Ah HA, that's the perfect color!" moments.

So we are driving to a tile store about 20 miles from us...they were closing their doors and everything in the store was 50 - 75% off.

I'm singing along to The Commodores "Brick House" when Mr. Amity casually mentions a pain in his chest.

I turn down the CD, I start asking questions.

Turns out he's had pain under both armpits and a band of pain across his chest for the last couple months!

He said it started about the same time as he started putting the drywall up in the kitchen so he figured he pulled a chest muscle.

To say I was speechless with my jaw hanging open is an understatement.

When I was able to form a complete sentence I told him to turn the truck around and head to our hospital.

He refused. You know how some men are!

Asked me if I Could get him an appointment with our regular doctor.

Our doc would squeeze him in the next day. Mr. Amity went straight to Doc's from work.

Called me from Doc's to tell me he was being transported over to the hospital, via ambulance....doc didn't want to take any chances after an EKG in the office.

From that point on, almost everything was a blur for me (most days even now it still is! LOL).

Three days in the hospital later: a battery of tests- TWO angiograms (poor groin area/solid dark purple all the way across from hip bone to hip bone and down both legs)-four stents, and a severe reaction to one of the medications needing two series of steroids....He's home and is going to be fine. *doing happy dance*

I haven't had a working kitchen since the end of January. No sink, no range, no oven, no cabinets to store anything, and two elderly parents who are not very happy about the whole thing..... and you know what?

I could go the rest of my life without a kitchen for all I care.

You know that phrase: 'In the grand scheme of things....'?

This scare really put things in perspective. I never, ever want to go through the fear of losing my best buddy of thirty-one years, my confidant, my partner in DIY and crime, ever again....It's the worst feeling, the most paralyzing fear I've ever experienced. And to see him in so much pain, with nothing I could do....Our marriage, we've always helped and supported each other and yet, I had to stand by ....nothing I could do, feeling totally useless. A horrible, Horrible feeling.

Yesterday he drove (first time and loved every minute! LOL) and we went to two tile stores and looked at their grout colors.

We took some of the broken Slate pieces (enhanced/sealed) with us and again, came home empty-handed, no grout.

Neither one of us can seem to commit to a color but we both know we don't want a light color, nor do we want gray.

So sitting at the table with cups of coffee, looking over the grout color charts for the bazillionth time, Mr.Amity says "Hey, those pals of yours on that site you visit...they haven't steered us wrong yet. Ask them what they think!"

Duh.....of course!

Like I said, my head has been in a fog and it didn't occur to me to ask here about grout color.

I had asked the Mr. if he minded if I updated you all on our latest....his heart scare..... so I was going to come here anyway but since I'm here....Can any of you suggest the right color of grout for my slate kitchen floor? :)

I'd like to get away with as small of a grout space as possible..... 1/8" ?

The darker colors in the tiles are deep/dark/gray'd olive and a very gray'd deep blue.

There is a little gray but the colors that stand out most are the gold/amber tones and the deep gray'd olive green tones.

Here are some photos that might help and a link to my PHotoBucket to see the kitchen in it's latest state.

P.S. I am going with the Mr. to a follow-up appointment in an hour and I have to take Mom to her heart Doc at three so I don't know if I'll get a chance to get back here today. But make no mistake....I WILL be back here late tonight or early tomorrow morn. I am so looking forward to getting back into some routine. Kitchen Forum has been part of my morning routine since January. lol

Here is a link that might be useful: My PhotoBucket Kitchen Damage Album

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!