SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
circuspeanutgw

Help me design my tiled-in range hood! (lotsa pix)

Circus Peanut
13 years ago

Hi folks,

Long story short, the range hood I purchased for my remodel last year has conked out and since it's out of warranty (and we never loved it, really), I've gotten a high-powered insert and will be making my own range hood to cover it.

We're total DIYers with diverse trades on hand for assistance. My carpenter buddy is helping me make a frame to fit, and I can cover it with anything I want. The shape as I imagine it will be a flattish angle all the way to the ceiling. The style of house and kitchen is a melange of modest 1920's bungalow, Craftsman and Danish Modern.

Here's the problem with unlimited choices: I can't decide!

I have copper countertops, cherry cabs and vintage fir floors, so an all copper hood would really be just too much brown in here. Maybe make it a yellow painted exterior (stucco-ish) with tiled interior? It might be best to make it all yellow to match the walls and fade into the background, allowing my vintage range take star billing? I want to set the thing a bit higher on the wall, too, so the existing accent tiles aren't crowded.

I could go all 3x6 yellow subways like the wainscot and backsplash. Or all 6x6 subways to keep the subtle yellow but add some slight contrast? Or make the whole thing russet? Or yellow with copper trim? Or russet with yellow or copper trim?

Plllog, I need you! And all other willing eyes to give me some input.

Materials to work with: I have on hand:

copper sheet

1.5"copper bar

yellow tiles

a few leftover accent tiles

Can easily get:

russet tiles

stucco

zinc

?

Pictures of the space, with old hood half there:

I'm terrible at Photoshop, but here's one shot at it to start: this is the general shape I'm aiming for:

Comments (17)