SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flseadog

backsplash in 3 wall alcove with centered apron sink

flseadog
14 years ago

We have a 10.5' run of base cabinets with an apron sink centered on a window. The window apron is about 4" above the granite countertop. Two 30" wide wall cabinets flank the window and there is about 5" between the edge of the cabinet and the window trim on each side of the window. All of this is in what I would call a 3 wall alcove similar to how bathroom vanities are done sometimes.

Because we didn't really have enough of the countertop granite to do a short granite backsplash and because our walls are so uneven we have decided to use tile. Everyone, and I mean everyone---KD, cabinet installer, GC, painter, DD and assorted other relatives, neighbors and their dogs and cats---have said we should do subway tile along the entire back wall up to the bottom of the wall cabinets. They are split on what to do on the two side walls of the alcove: some say the same height all the way to the end of the counter, some say it should step down to the end, some say nothing at all should go on the end walls but that is not an option because of the uneven gaps where the granite meets the wall.

Although I have seen all the beautiful cabinet height back splashes done in large subway tile posted here I don't think I'm going to like the look in my kitchen. Have any of you done a tile splash that is only as high as the window sill? In my case that would be a back splash about 7" high since the apron underneath the sill is about 3" wide. I was thinking of a small scale subway tile with some sort of glass tile detail. My thinking is not at all refined on this as you can probably tell. Also I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like the look of tile at 18" high on the end walls or having it step down either as some have suggested. Having the back splash at 7" high would let me just continue the same height all around the 3 walls and deep the back splash from being the focal point of the wall. Since there is already a lot going on in this space with the apron sink, a strong swirly gray/green granite, and the wall cabinets with mullioned glass doors that will eventually hold the china I inherited from dear MIL I'm afraid that any type of high back splash would be too much. If this isn't already TMI, the cabinets are white shaker style and the walls are painted a pale blue green. Thanks for any ideas and suggestions.

Comments (7)