SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fabfivefigs

Yellow penny tile backsplash- what color walls??

fabfivefigs
9 years ago

I am planning a vintage-y kitchen remodel and definitely want to use this vintage yellow penny tile from HD for my kitchen backsplash:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Merola-Tile-Penny-Round-Vintage-Yellow-12-in-x-12-1-4-in-x-5-mm-Porcelain-Mosaic-Floor-and-Wall-Tile-10-2-sq-ft-case-FKOMPR06/203102315?keyword=vintage+yellow+merola

My problem is that it will not be covering the entire wall- just a backsplash, and there are 2 windows and a range hood on the wall, so no room for upper cabinets. We will have a short section of open shelving. Lower cabinets will be white, grey counters, white apron sink. I can't decide what color to paint the upper part of the wall above the yellow backsplash! Options are:

1. A paler yellow- I am afraid would make the tile look too "muddy". It is a creamy butter yellow with a slight green undertone.

2. A matching yellow- would cause the tile to not stand out, which I don't want.

3. A contrasting color- color theory says purple with yellow, but that seems weird to me and not like "me" in my kitchen. I LOVE aqua, but am feeling like an aqua wall with a yellow backsplash may be a bit too busy? (although I do love lots of color so maybe it would suit me)

4. White? Seems boring but maybe if we did the open shelving in a cool aqua color it could work?

5. Take the penny tile all the way to the ceiling? (8' standard height ceilings) It may be too expensive but would that be best?

Any other suggestions? What would you do?

Here is a link that might be useful: HD Merola Penny Tile- Vintage Yellow

Comments (20)