SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilleth_gw

Proposal from contractor for kitchen reno-need feedback on pricin

lilleth
14 years ago

We are considering renovating our small galley kitchen and adjacent laundry room: new cabinets, new stove, washer and dryer, vent hood, and undercounter beverage fridge, 2 new sinks and faucets, granite countertops.

The bid we got on kitchen renovation is for $40,000 to $45,000 for cabinets, inclusive of project management and labor and materials. It seems excessive. The floor has already been replaced (wood) and all structural work was done in a previous house renovation 5 years ago.

These are the allowances in the contract-basically adds up $15,400. So the other $30,000 is project management, time and other materials, I guess.

Kraftmaid semi custom Cabinets - $ 9,500.00 (Kitchen and Laundry Room)

Countertops - $ 3,220.00 (Laminate and Granite)

Plumbing Fixtures - $ 1,712.00 (2 sinks, 2 faucets)

Tile Backsplash - $ 1,000.00 (material and installation)

There is no allowance for lighting  the under cabinet lighting is included in the Contract.

My husband asked another contractor what he thought of the pricing, and contractor #2 said he thought it was spot on. We live in a fairly large municipality in NC that is still rapidly growing despite the economy, so there always seems to be a local contractor surcharge for any building work.

-----------------------------------

Not included in the contract-what we would pay above and beyond;

Appliances (stove, washer and dryer, venthood, beverage fridge)

Lighting fixtures

Cabinet Hardware (unless we pick out KraftMaid Hardware)

---------

About 3 years ago, we got a bid from a craftsmen who does very wonderful customer cabinetry and can also do tile, plumbing, electrical, trimwork, sheetrock-a very turnkey contractor and a perfectionist. A friend has a kitchen he did over 5 years ago which has held up beautifully. The friend's costs came out at about $19,000; probably $25,000 in today's prices. The bid this craftsman gave us along with appliances and such would have added up to $25 to $30,000.

I know there are other threads where people talk about costs, but i would love to hear people way in on the $45 to $50,000 bid we received.d

Thanks!

Comments (16)