SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bodhi_gw

My proposed new kitchen layout!

bodhi
12 years ago

There's so much great advise on this forum I just couldn't resist posting my own plans for kitchen remodel. I expect it to get torn apart because I know it has a few flaws, but we feel its the best we can come up with for our space.

Our current kitchen feels small with very little counter space. The layout is junk with the pantry several steps from the rest of the kitchen and just 25 inches between the fridge and the island! The sink is in the corner and it feels very cramped and in the way there when somebody else is trying to prep/cook.

We are a family of 3 (one 15 month old) and one more on the way. We like our house and neighborhood so even though this remodel is going to cost a fortune we don't want to move into a bigger/better home.

We like to cook, but don't as often as we wish we could. So while something like double ovens aren't a necessity to us, it might come in handy once in a while.

Below is our current first floor layout. Its very open and we love how the living room and kitchen feel like one huge room. We currently have a screened in porch off of the kitchen which we hate. Its basically one huge bug trap and you can't see much of our yard from that direction anyways. We plan to take over the space of that porch and make the kitchen larger and add a mudroom. We contemplated using all of that space for more kitchen, but felt that made the kitchen just too long and narrow and we really want a mudroom after the contractor suggested that idea. We have two dogs and both work in hospitals so having a place to hose off and take off dirty shoes will be great.

Here's our current first floor layout:

Next is our proposed new kitchen. Note that it is using a different scale than the first drawing so its "zoomed" up a bit and only shows the kitchen and old porch space. We are knocking down walls so options are almost endless within this space. We're moving all appliances and water lines a bit. We're expanding one window and changing one large 72" window into a double door leading out onto our new planed deck area.

New Kitchen plan:

We feel this layout is much better than our current one, but I know there are still issues with it. We tried to make a cleanup space separate from the prep/cook space. We don't love the pantry being on the other side of the sink from the prep area, but its still better than what we currently have and we didn't want to put it over along the wall with the fridge since space over there is limited.

I don't like the ovens and fridge opening up into a traffic path, but it won't be a high traffic area at all. It will be used to come in and out of garage and to let dogs (and muddy kids) in/out. I also know there isn't enough room behind the chairs on the table, but my wife really wants this "fixed" table to free up some space in front of the new french doors where our current round table is.

Please share your ideas. I feel like we've contemplated tons of possibilities but I'm sure you guys can come up with stuff we'd never think of. This plan is very similar to another plan that was recently posted by another person (which received lots of feedback), but I don't think we'll have as many traffic flow issues as they have.

Oh, we currently have medium dark wood cabs, white laminate counters, white appliances, and vinyl floors! We plan to extend our wood floors that are in the rest of the first floor, get new white cabs, super white quartzite counters, SS appliances. Probably paint the island cabs and cooktop hood a light blue with a dark walnut tabletop. It looks beautiful in my mind, honest!

Thanks for listening.

Comments (17)