SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fiveunderfive_gw

How do I not freak out and get totally overwhelmed?

fiveunderfive
14 years ago

Sorry for all the posts. We are finalizing plans for a largish addition - 10 feet out across the entire backside (approx 30ish feet) of our house - 2 stories. We will get an 18x18 kitchen, much needed large mudroom (along with pantry, laundry, and powder room) downstairs, and a 5th bed/3rd bath upstairs plus rearranging the master bed and redoing the master bath. We had signed on with a design-build company, but a week after we signed, got a letter in the mail saying he was going under. Seriously! We had no clue this was coming. We did our homework and got multiple glowing references for him, from subs, homeowners, and suppliers. Not to mention he was the local "reader's Choice award" for many years running. SIGH. So back to square one. We decided to go with the architect he used (who was not affiliated with his company) and are waiting for drawings to be finalized and will then bid out the project and see if we can get loan approval. We have excellent credit but it will probably double the current cost of our home, so we need to make sure we do not price ourselves out of our neighborhood. We got an incredible deal on our house and we are in a desirable neighborhood, so although we will probably be near the top, hopefully it will get approved. We are not planning on moving or selling soon. DH is very handy and can do some of the finishing work. We completely redid a bathroom in our old house, including ripping it down to the studs, redrywalling, tiling, skylight, etc, and were able to keep the budget under $2000. If allowed (we are not sure with the loan if it will be) he will probably try to do as much of the finishing work for the baths that he can this time too, and maybe some of the other areas. But he works an average fo 60hours a week, so I am not sure where he thinks he will find the time. not to mention that we have 5 kids ages 9 mos to 6 years who like to "help." Anyways....I am starting to get stressed with all of the details. DH is very detail oriented and knows pretty much exactly what he wants, but I need to get my two cents in too. I have learned so much info from you guys here, and have bookmarked over 50 posts. But I am getting very overwhelmed. I am so excited that this is starting to come to fruition, but it is scary too since we will be sinking so much money, including a lot of our savings, into this. I am also afraid that we are developing expensive tastes - not quite Crystal on a beer budget, but close! I am traditionally a bargain shopper, and have already been scouting ebay and local shops for deals, and we are starting to pick up things we see here and there that we like. Help me calm down and realize we can do this!

Comments (9)