SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianalo_loco

From freaking out to freaking tired!

dianalo
13 years ago

Hey all,

Quick update... house is starting to get packed up, but got caught up in dealing with a double closet in the bsmt near where we will be sleeping. It has/d a mold issue and that was probably connected to the rot the found when they removed our patio. I planned on scrubbing it like crazy (paneling) and vacuuming it within an inch of its life and then covering every surface with heavy duty garbage bags and duct tape to contain any microbes left behind. Our contractor said he'd fix it once we moved back upstairs..

One thing led to another and I ended up tearing out all the old wood paneling, pulling up the carpet and removing the half rotted tacking strips below and basically removing as much bad stuff as I could. I wore a mask and took fresh air breaks, but it was no fun. I am not letting the kids down there for a few days until I feel it has all settled. I will also contain the walls and floor with garbage bags and duct tape as planned. It took me over 2 hours to get done, but I am glad I removed tainted materials from our house. I am so glad the other closet in the room is in good shape and it was contained to just one.

I then packed up 1/4 of my kitchen, 3/4 of my half of the master, 1/3 of the dining room and part of the living room. I have a ways to go, but am making progress although the house looks like it went through a twister at this point.

I did learn 3 valuable lessons though that I will pass along to help others who may follow in my footsteps.

1. Kids will not bother you for hours if you give them markers and let them draw on the walls.

2. Check the artwork again in the morning as one of my darlings (7.5 & almost 9) drew swastikas on the wall before school and the gc was stunned to see them before I did (I know our sons have NO clue what they mean and I have no clue how they even know to draw them). We will be having a "chat" when they get home from school. I had requested no potty words or anything too anatomically correct, but had no clue about these symbols. If my mother ever found out, she'd freak as she lost family in the Holocaust.

3. When going to the potty and then changing out of your nasty mold dusted clothes, it is best to do that in the bathroom without a skylight when men are working on your roof. Nuff said.

Comments (13)