SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alida_gw

Really stuck with window/sink placement-need advice

alida_gw
15 years ago

Hello all,

After almost two years of planning (and constant reading of this forum) we are finally about to embark on the kitchen remodeling. Based on so much that I have learned here, we have a layout that really makes sense..... a prep zone, a cooking zone, a clean-up zone, storage that makes sense in terms of size and function, etc. I think this kitchen will work really well. I'm just totally stuck on the sink placement in relationship to the windows. I have searched the FKB for some inspiration but I haven't seen anything that makes me feel like the current plan is aesthetically pleasing enough. Maybe someone here has a suggestion? If so, I'm all ears.

Here's the problem. The window wall in my kitchen is 138". It is broken down as follows: 36" of wall space, 72" of windows, and 30" of wall space, then it turns the corner. The windows are two double hungs that go all the way down to the counter, trimmed with 3.5" molding. There is also a 3.5" molding strip that "joins" the windows vertically. The sink and dishwasher need to go under the windows but there is no way to center the sink. Since this is the clean-up zone, I would like a largish single bowl undermount. The dishwasher needs to go to the left of the sink (yes, I've read the posts on this and a.) I'm left handed and b.) this puts the dishwasher close to the dish/silverware storage for easy unloading.) If I center the sink, I push the dishwasher further left and then I end up with a base cabinet that is too small as opposed the the really useful 36" stacked drawer base that I want. I could center the sink under just the right side window. I don't know if this will help or not. I could also offset the faucet so that the faucet is centered in between the two windows. Does it matter if the sink is centered in its base cabinet? I've seen a few examples but they are mostly in more contemporary houses without the very traditional double hung mullioned windows I have. I want this kitchen to work well, but I also want it to be pretty!

As I said before, if anyone has ideas, suggestions, inspiration, etc. I'd be most appreciative!

Thanks,

Alida

Comments (12)