SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peace_rose_gw

Hide my hood and make the cabs look good!

peace_rose
13 years ago

We are *this close* to ordering the cabinets, and I wanted to pose a question about the cabinets over the range. We are thinking of ordering a 36" wide x 24" high x 24" deep cabinet to go over the range that my husband would cut down to 18" deep. The 18" wide cabinets on either side of the range cab are a normal 12" depth. I'm thinking that staggering the depth would keep it interesting. Not doing a fancy wood hood will save us $$, and I like the traditional look of cabinets above the hood anyway. I really want to hide the hood underneath though, so that nothing shows (otherwise I'd just get a regular hood that peeks out from underneath).

Here's a layout (sorry, the OTR cabinets are depicted as 12" deep instead of our preference for 18" deep):

And here's a picture of the actual wall (with recessed shelf):

This brings me to the reason I came here in the first place: I need help fine tuning the exact measurements and making sure everything is in proportion. The wall behind the stove is 8' high, broken down like this:

Countertop = 3' above floor +

Bottom of OTR cabinet = 3' above the range +

Over the Range Cabinet = 2' high

How do you think a 24" tall cabinet would look above the range? Too boxy? Just right? I was toying with the idea of an 18" tall cabinet with a 6" mantle/shelf underneath it (that would sit 36" above the range. From what I understand, the bottom of the hood must be no more than 36" above the range).

Second question: what's a good depth so that I'm not banging my head on the hood/cabinet? Does an 18" deep cabinet that's 6' from the floor allow enough head-room? (I'm 5'4", so seems ok to me...but what about the depth...should we shave off a couple inches?)

I have a certain hood/blower/liner in mind that is made for a shallow depth: http://www.ventingdirect.com/broan-pm250-20-custom-hood-power-module-insert-with-250-cfm-fan-2-speed-rocker-control-and-dual-40-watt-lighting/p637862#reviews (I know it's wimpy, but I've had a heck of a time finding anything as compact as this one).

If you're curious about the recessed shelf, it starts 48" from the floor and is 15" high. So the top edge of the plywood in the picture is 63" from the floor. That leaves 9" from the top edge of the recessed shelf to the bottom of the hood/cabinet.

In case I've lost you in the details, what I really need is feedback about how to affordably hide the hood under cabinets above the stove, and how to make it function well. All along I thought I would have my husband build something custom up there, but at this point ordering a cabinet and making a few tweaks here and there seems to be the better option. (They will be painted white cabinets, so we can make it all blend in together).

Thanks so much!

Comments (4)