SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

Discovered a good reason not to have cabs to the ceiling.

deedles
10 years ago

Can't make the crown molding (moulding?) work. Can. Not.

In the back of my mind I always sensed this would be a problem but pushed it back to solve 'later'. Later is here.

If the ceiling wasn't knotty pine it would be okay but it is and having the light stained white oak cabs/trim up to the knotty pine ceiling and then trying to transition between the two light but different wood crowns (KP and WO) on the face of the cabs (uppers go wall to wall with no corners) ain't getting it.

The KP trim is bought and paid for and half up in the kitchen already so can't change it now.

Don't want to run the knotty pine crown across the top of the WO cabs so.... my best idea now is to keep the cabs down (yes, the dreaded dust hole) at 42" and have 12" to the ceiling... plenty of room for the 4" KP crown to go around the ceiling. Ugh. Well, I can always have some lighting on top of the cabs which will make the ceiling look pretty. AND, I've seen quite a few lovely kitchens on here where the cabs are down from the ceiling so that helps me feel better about it. I think oldbat's cabs are like this... or were in her old kitchen? Or was that beekeepers?

Should I make the uppers 39" leaving 15" of space above so I can put some of my nifty vintage cake stands, etc up there?

Bummer, but out of ideas on this.

Comments (25)