SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

Will an island hood make my kitchen look crowded?

lisa_a
14 years ago

We are keeping our cooktop in the island. Yes, I know the concerns but moving it to the perimeter isn't possible without more trade-offs than it's worth. Now if we had an extra 2' along one wall, it would be a different matter. I can dream, can't I? ;-)

But I digress.

We currently have a 7" pop-up that we will replace. I've looked at the Dacor slimline 10" pop-up (takes only 2" of cupboard space) and the Thermador 14" pop-up (the blower box is huge). Both come with mega CFMs - 1000 or 1100, I believe - and we have a very short run (about 8') so we won't lose much power. What I want is Thermador's height with Dacor's slim profile but that doesn't exist. Not sure which I'll choose.

So I'm toying, once again, with installing a hood over the island cooktop. I just can't decide if it will look crowded in the space. The Jenn-air hood I'm considering has a relatively slim line but doesn't seem as modern as others I've seen (our house is traditional/transitional). It *might* work but since the space is so open now, I just can't picture it. It has lower CFM than the pop-ups we're considering but it's sufficient for the cooktop we're choosing (Wolf 30" cooktop) and certainly more than we have now in our pop-up (I'd guess that's about 400 or so, given it's age).

The island is 62 1/2" x 42". I'll have 16 inches on either side of the cooktop and 19" on the back (no eat-at bar just cupboards). Here's how much room I would have between hood and perimeter cabs and appliances:

55" to the oven column

65 3/4" to the upper cab next to the oven column

41" to the fridge front

57" to the upper cab next to the fridge

65" to the upper cabs opposite the oven column

I had posted pics of my kitchen but that thread dropped off a long time ago. I can't remember how to post pics. Soon as I figure that out again, I'll post.

I'm doing my best to balance function and form. If any of you have installed a hood in a similar situation, I'd love to hear from you. TIA!

Here is a link that might be useful: Jenn-Air island hood

Comments (39)