SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rebot_gw

Looking for help to make my kitchen functional and pretty

rebot
12 years ago

After reading and learning from all of you for the past six months or so, I am finally coming out of lurkdom. We are closing on our new house at the end of this month. Here's the thing, I don't love the kitchen. We figure this is probably about five year house so I don't want to put a ton of money into my dream kitchen, but I do want a fully functional kitchen that I really, really like. The cooktop is in the island. I keep thinking how easy it would be for little hands to reach up to it. Here are a couple of pictures of the now kitchen. I don't have any dimensions except that the kitchen is 12' x 14'.

What would you do? I know most people would say live with it for six months or so, and I would happily do that. However, my husband is a different story. He wants to put a new counter and hood in immediately. Once that happens I don't think we would want to change the layout so if anything is going to be changed I want to do it before new counters go in. I am typically the only cook, but I do have two young kids that I assume will someday soon want to help. The attached dining area is the only eating area and I feel with the built ins on the end and the random peninsula it really limits it to a small table.

As I can get into the house and get some measurements I will post the current layout. I guess I'm mostly just looking for what your opinions are based on the pictures.

This is the wall on the right of the previous picture. To the left of this picture is the fridge.

This is the dining area with the random eating peninsula. The kitchen is to the right of this picture.

Comments (6)