SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diginthedirt17

Lipstick on a pig....or please help me make my kitchen pretty!!

diginthedirt17
14 years ago

Hi there, we're updating our kitchen just a bit. Just enought of a change to hold me over until a full remodel in 4-5 years (new appliances, new layout, etc.).

I have ugly oak cabinets, white appliances, oak flooring. White cast iron sink, satin nickel hardware. Island is painted black/beadboard and we are installing a butcher block top this weekend. Changing all trimwork in the house to white. Farmhouse table with black distressed legs/oak top.

We ordered new countertops last week in Basalt Slate. Painting the walls a warm tan. The problem is that I can't picture or decide how to tie it all together.

Almost every picture I see with soapstone, or Basalt Slate, has beautiful white or cream cabinets...so I'm having a hardtime picturing what kind of backsplash to pick that won't clash with the grainy oak.

SO, here are my questions!

What kind of backsplash will go with the counters/white appliances? White subway tile? Tumbled marble?

Hardware - keep the brushed nickel or switch to ORB? Does the hardware have to/should match the lighting?

Sink - keep the white cast iron or switch to siligranit?

Thank you in advance for any inspiration you might throw my way! I was here a few years ago as we tore down the wallpaper and painted the kitchen red. Here are a few pics!

:) diginthedirt

YIKES!!!

Slightly better....island also currently has black beadboard....

Comments (18)