SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gmkarr

How best to make an island work in my kitchen?

gmkarr
8 years ago

I am doing a tight budget remodel of our kitchen, and would love some helping figuring out how best to configure the island. Thanks in advance for any ideas!!

We actually were doing a 700 foot addition on our house and not planning on doing the kitchen yet (not enough $). However, once the old cabinet doors starting falling off the cabinets, we realized we couldn't wait any longer! I attached a picture of the approximate kitchen plans - the kitchen is almost 16 feet on the long side, and 10 1/2 ft. on shorter sides. There is an error on the left wall - it is supposed to be 135 inches, not 127.

Option 1 is for the island to be about 51 by 51 inches (including an overhang, with seating on the side with no cabinets - which opens into a large dining room). There would be about 40 inches of isle space on each side of the island. With this plan, the island lines up with wall cabinets on either side (doesn't poke into the dining room).

Option 2 - I am wondering if it makes more sense to pull the island out toward the dining room so it doesn't block the oven or fridge at all. If I do that, the island can be five feet wide and about 3.5 feet deep. It will stick out in the dining room past the wall cabinets line by about 18 inches (does that look weird though?). There would be 5.5 feet between the sink and the island (does that seem like a huge aisle and odd?), and about 41 inches aisle space on the right an left sides of the island. I like that the seating side is more roomy (maybe even small three kids could squish in here, or two adults). Here is a picture with some plastic bags marking this second option:

Option 3! That would be for the island to be 5 feet deep and 4 feet wide. If I did that, then there would be about 40 inches of isle space on each side. The island would stick out into the dining room about 11 inches. Here are some photos of that option.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths