SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calumin

parquet floor or cabinet install first?

calumin
10 years ago

Hello -- like many others, my GC and floor expert are giving me opposite instruction on whether to install the cabinets or floors first.

I've spent hours going through the threads on this topic. The consensus here seems to be to install hardwood floors first, then cabinets. However, the most compelling argument I've read advocates the other approach, as follows:

-----
...if an installer installs the flooring first, then the cabinets are installed on top of the floors, and a water leak and subsequent damage ensued, then properly removing all the damaged flooring would be difficult. After doing hundreds of kitchen water damage repairs to wood floors, rarely are any cabinets seriously damaged. Nor is the subflooring either. WHY? Because the cabs are installed on shims, feet, hold-offs and similar. The water typically drains down through the subfloor at some point and the cabs are not damaged, but not before soaking the wood flooring. Since subfloors are designed to be allowed to get wet and dry out and still perform fine, they are not usually damaged either. Not enough to warrant removal. So, in most water damage scenarios, all that is needed is to repair the leak, remove the water damaged portion of the floor, thoroughly dry out the subfloor and when fully dry, re-install new flooring.

If an installer were to install the hardwood UNDER the cabinets and that wood got wet, it would be a wet sandwich, creating the possibility of mold growth that the repair person could not get to without removing the cabinets and counters. I don't know about you but here, the custom build kitchens run into 6 figures. What is unacceptable is to create a problem that did not need to be created ( i.e.: install flooring under the cabinets ).
-----

It seems to me that, money aside, installing hardwood floors first would create a water risk that, however minimal, is completely unnecessary. All the other issues seem less compelling to me than this one.

So my plan was to install cabinets first, but my flooring guy is saying he needs to install floors first because he is hand-building wood parquet from strip flooring to match the existing pattern we have in the adjacent room, and it's very difficult to do if he has to take it only to the cabinet edge.

This argument doesn't make much sense to me -- but I've never done this before. So I have a few options:

1) Install cabinets first, and look for a new floor guy
2) Install floors first to the wall, then cabinets, and decide that the argument above isn't important
3) Install floors first, but only back to the cabinet edge, then install cabinets afterward and have the GC level them to the right height.

What would you do?

This post was edited by calumin on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 2:30

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert