SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
isixpacku

Tile floor lippage/ grout color issues

isixpacku
9 years ago

On Friday they finished installing our Happy Floors Lefka 12 x 24 tile floors and they grouted them on Saturday. The grout is Prism in Haystack, which I have read is a good premium grout.

We are having two issues. The first one is that the grout color is very uneven. It ranges from almost white to a muddy looking color as seen below. The KD and the GC said that this is the first time they have run into this problem. The main worker at the house saw my pieces of blue tape this morning and asked about it. I told him about the issue with the grout color. He said uneven color does happen sometimes and suggested they regrout the tile to see if it solved the problem. They did that today, and I know the grout isn't fully finished drying but there doesn't appear to be any improvement in the color.

Here are some pictures where you can see the uneven color.

The second issue we are having is lippage. The tile (which has a rectified edge), the tile size, 12 x 24, and laying pattern, brick lay with 50% offset on the diagonal, was recommended by the KD and the designer at ProSource. They have done this installation in several projects. I went with their recommendation because they are supposed to be the experts.

We have lippage of more than 1/32" on at least one side of almost every tile. As I look down the hallway the floor looks uneven and as I walk on it barefoot there are very obvious lips. I discussed the lippage with the main worker at the house today when we were talking about the grout color, and he said that he has seen this problem before with this size tile and this type of pattern. He said he typically lays the tile but when he saw the type of tile and the plans for the pattern, he chose not to install the tile. He said that part of the problem is that the tile isn't completely flat and it is higher in the middle of the tiles. When the middle of the tile is adjacent to where the two ends of the the tiles come together on the next row, you create the lippage problem. I called the KD this morning to tell her my concerns and relay what I heard in regards to issues with laying the tile this way, and she said she has never had a problem before and got defensive.

This afternoon the KD, GC, and I met at the house, right after they had finished regrouting the floors and discussed my concerns. We went and looked at some unused tiles in the garage and the tiles didn't lay flat at all. One of the tiles was cupped and the middle was higher than the edges and the other tile rocked side to side. It is no wonder that there are issues with the floor. Isn't it the tile installers responsibility to ensure that the tile he is installing isn't defective?

Tonight I have done some research on 12 x 24 tiles and found that the brick pattern which was used in my kitchen is not recommended because it exacerbates any lippage issues. Offset of more than 33% is not recommended and if offset of more than 33% is specified then the specifier and the owner must approve mock-up and lippage according to ANSI standards.

Here pictures of the lippage:
Two credit cards thick

The lippage seen in the lower right is typical

In all we are just frustrated with the floor. The KD recommended an installation which is not accepted in the industry as a good practice, and does not follow ANSI standards. The tile guy installed tiles which never should have been installed in the first place. And the grout, which is supposed to be quality grout, has significant color variation.

I am sharing our experience so that hopefully someone can learn from it and prevent future problems.

Here is a great reference which discusses lippage and grout size.
http://www.laticrete.com/portals/0/tds/tds161.pdf

Comments (33)