SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anthony_berte77

Floor tile issues w/ contractor over lippage

Anthony Berte
3 years ago

I've been having some issues with my contractor. He's doing a full gut and remodel of my master bath & closet. He's having problems laying my 15"x30" porcelain floor tile. He laid it twice, and both times he decided on his own that the tile wasn't even and ripped it up and tried a third time. The tile in the pics is what I'm left with after the 3rd time. It's still very uneven with huge lippage. Contractor planned on moving on with the project until I said something. It is hard to tell in the pics, but walking barefoot (which I would be all the time) the lippage is blatantly obvious, not to mention sharp and uncomfortable. In the pics I've put blue painter's tape on all of the tiles where the lippage is extreme. There are about 20 tiles total that have excess lippage. I saw someone mention that you should be able to slide a credit card over every tile edge to the next. In my pic you can see I've stacked 4 cards high, and still couldn't get over the next tile. I also read here on the forums that large format tile in a brick pattern should only be offset up to 33%, not 50% as he's done. We briefly discussed tile pattern when he was demoing and I said I wanted brick pattern. We didn't discuss the offset and he didn't mention any possible issues.

I brought the lippage up to him right away after the 3rd time of laying the tile. He had been nice up until that point, but he got a bit frustrated. Said that nobody in this city could get it any better than that. Said that my floor just wasn't level (but he also claimed he was going to level my floor before he laid the tile). He said he will add more grout and that should fix things. I brought up the 33% offset issue, and he claims he's never heard that in 20 years of laying tile. He did use levelers on all of the tiles when he installed them every time.

He will be back on Monday to finish the grout and then finish the rest of the bathroom. I can't imagine that simply adding more grout will be a proper solution. He also had an apprentice in the bathroom grouting the shower tile and laying the floor tile inside the shower, and a vertical accent band down the far wall of the shower. I said that it looked awful and uneven, but he assured me that the apprentice didn't know how to properly grout (see pics), and once he came in and fixed it himself, things would look ok.

I'm on the verge of freaking out right now. I think my bathroom not only looks horrible, but it's functionally horrible as well. I can't even walk comfortably on my floors with the lippage. Am I just being picky, or is this really unacceptable work from a professional? How would you suggest dealing with this contractor? We didn't sign any sort of contract or anything that mentioned lippage.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor