SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandi_lindenkohl

Tile installation issue - Did the contractor make a mistake?

Sandi Lindenkohl
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi, I hope someone out there can tell me whether my contractor made a big mistake when tiling our shower. We are remodeling our master bath with a curbless shower and a linear drain. We've hit a big issue with the slope of the floor from the back wall down to the drain (4.5 inches between wall and drain). See illustration below. It seems to me that the wall tile on the back wall does not come down low enough to create a 2% slope. Instead the floor tile has to drop 3/4 inch from the back wall to the edge of the drain over only 4.5 inches. It is about 16% I think. If they had set the tile lower on the back wall we would not have this issue. The contractor doesn't seem to want to call this a mistake. Their solution was to put at least a 1/2 inch grout line between the wall tile and floor tile to make the slope less steep. Otherwise the steep slope looks bad. I'm afraid this grout line will fail (sanded grout) and it doesn't look great.

Am I right to consider this bad tile planning a mistake?

Also, Any suggestions? The horizontal space between the tile and floor is so thin it is difficult to add a 1/2 inch of tile along the bottom to close the gap, but we could possibly put a molding or flat pencil liner in the space to effectively lower the back wall tile.

Thanks!

Comments (5)